No primary partition

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Lomax21

No primary partition

#1 Post by Lomax21 »

Ok I'm going to try this again since the last post didn't seem to get any response.

I have a 3TB external backup drive that was not partitioned, but after deep scanning now it claims there are three. One says it can't be used, the other two are both Logical partitions.
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (12.81 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
The NTFS partition says it's damaged, the other does display files but they are all messed up file names with dates. It's also saying the drive size might not be correct?
Capture3.PNG
Capture3.PNG (10.52 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
What am I suppose to do if there is no primary partition I can select? Can I just simply reformat the drive to NTFS and recover from there? When the scan is finished it does say there is one extended LBA at 0 1, But I can't select that partition anywhere. Being the 0 1 doesn't that make it the first partition?
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (15.31 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
I'm really lost here and need some help... I went and picked up another 3TB drive to move the files over but again the file names are all screwed up and they are not in folders.

EDIT: Oh sorry I did also try to rebuild the boost sector of the drive but it says both the backup and the primary are bad.

Lomax21

Re: No primary partition

#2 Post by Lomax21 »

Do you guys need more info or has no one seen this before?

Lomax21

Re: No primary partition

#3 Post by Lomax21 »

So yea ran MiniTool Power Data Recovery fixed the partition and recovered 100% of my data