New to Testdisk have a few questions. Please help.

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
R3MiX

New to Testdisk have a few questions. Please help.

#1 Post by R3MiX »

Hi everybody, I'm new to test disk and I'm trying to fix a bad drive and was wondering if y'all can offer me some guidance. So here is my story. I have a WD hard drive that went bad. Plugged it to my Mac via a new external case and I would get this prompt " this drive could not be readable by this computer ". It gave me three options. Initialize. Ignore. Eject. So I chose Initialize. The hard drive even a after initializing still can't be used. No read. No write. My Mac doesn't even recognize the drive. Although it does show that there is something there.

So I came across test disk and maybe by chance I can recover data on this drive. Followed the step by step instructions on the site and I came across this issue. It's a 1tb drive and during the quick search step, it seems to be taking a while. The test hasn't come across any errors or partitions just yet but its been over 12 hours since I ran the test.

It is searching through the sector's but it's taking pretty long to complete. I did notice though that the percentage hasn't gone up and is still at 00%. Is this normal? Although the sector numbers are increasing the percentage hasn't changed. Is there something I missed? How long doed an average does a 1tb take?

Y'all assistance would greatly be appreciated.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: New to Testdisk have a few questions. Please help.

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Try PhotoRec 7.1-WIP https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step
If there is no physical problem with your disk, it should be able to recover your data even if it doesn't recover the original filenames.

R3MiX

Re: New to Testdisk have a few questions. Please help.

#3 Post by R3MiX »

So it looks like the program was able to recover the data, but now I can't even access the drive as I get WD Unlock icon. Upon doing a research of what it's about, it's a security feature from WD. Weird thing is I never set up any security (password) for this drive. I can't get passed this. Any help regarding this issue please?