New at this, looking for some guidance

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Madfable

New at this, looking for some guidance

#1 Post by Madfable »

Hey all, I recently did something extremely stupid. In short, when I upgraded to windows 10, I got delete happy and deleted my backup drive partition. I thought it I put a partition back on it I will still have all my backed up stuff. Alas no. So here I stand hoping I did not just lose 20+ years of family photo's, tax records, job related stuff, I mean the REALLY important stuff.

I downloaded teskdisk after hearing so many great things about it related to partition issues, but I have NEVER had to use a data recovery program before as I had always been so careful in the past. So I feel a bit out of my element here.

Here is what i have done thus far, I tried an intel analysis as I figured it would be under that, nothing. Tried something called Eifi(?) or something like that as it "hinted" there seems to be something there. Still waiting for the results on that since it takes days to scan.

So in short I am wondering if someone else has been down this same path and has any advice, or perhaps knowledge of a guide of some sort for my specific problem I can follow to increase the chances of getting my partition back and along with it, all my folders and files of super importance? Any and all advice would be seriously most appreciated. I am a the verge of a panic attack at this point.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: New at this, looking for some guidance

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Has your backup partition been reformated ?
In the worst case, it's still possible to use PhotoRec to recover your data.

Madfable

#3 Post by Madfable »

No. Even though it has asked me to reformat I have not as I figured that would make it harder to recover. Also I have used my primary drive to run testdisk.

Would photorec find my folders and such? Doc files and family video's etc etc? I have just a few percent left on the deep scan, so I will post my findings if any.

Madfable

#4 Post by Madfable »

Okay, well it found a partition and it says, "The following partition can't be recovered" :(