Recover underlying files on Imation M100

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
AJNiteowl

Recover underlying files on Imation M100

#1 Post by AJNiteowl »

Hi Support

I have a problem with an external Imation M100 1Tb drive that was in the middle of copying files originally to disk when a Windows update occurred and re-started the computer. It looks like the disk has been re-formatted and has a 512 byte system on it (don't know how this happened). I have had a look with both TestDisk and PhotoRec but both cannot get to the underlying files that I need recovered.

I know the files are there because I have found around 200 of them using iCare Data Recovery which spent about 10 hours examining the disk and reported files were sitting on disk (but limits you to recovering 100 of these in the free version).

So I have looked at TeskDisk but the partition cannot be recovered (so presume it is lost) and PhotoRec requires a valid file system in order to recover deleted files.

Should I now re-format the drive and then what tool do I use to search for file data (music and spreadsheets mainly) across the disk (presumably in RAW format) so that I can select the files for recovery onto a separate drive?

Thanks.