btrfs+ext4 partitions recovery from accidental MBR wipe

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
ks92

btrfs+ext4 partitions recovery from accidental MBR wipe

#1 Post by ks92 »

Hello.

Trying to install OpenBSD (as dual-boot) on my computer yesterday resulted in wiping the MBR, although I quited the installation (tried with pressing 'q', then pressed my laptop power button when 'q' didn't work) before choosing to proceed with any partitioning operation, the installer asked for choosing one of the following options "erase ^?, werase ^W, kill ^U, intr ^C, status ^T".

When I've rebooted my computer, I get "No O/S found on partition 3" from boot.

Now after I reboot with Ubuntu live dvd and try to list partitions using GNU Parted; I get:
(parted) print
Model: ATA TOSHIBA MK3263GS (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 320GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
4 32.8kB 320GB 320GB primary sun-ufs boot
I find also a '320 GB Volume' within the file manager - when I open it I get only 1 GB empty drive.

Meanwhile, I gave testdisk a try - when the deeper search finished, many partitions were listed most of them don't much the size of the lost ones, except of just one: an ext4 partition with the same size as the ext4 lost partition, but when I hit enter on top of it I got "No partition found or selected for recovery". and then I was unable to get back to the buffer.

I have two partitions on the disk and they were completely lost: the first has an ext4 filesystem and contains data, the other has btrfs and contains archlinux OS. I really need to recover my partitions. Does anyone have an idea? Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you very much.
Last edited by ks92 on 26 Sep 2016, 12:33, edited 2 times in total.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: btrfs+ext4 partitions recovery from accidental MBR wipe

#2 Post by cgrenier »

When there is a list of all the partitions, try to list the ext4 filesystem content ('P' to list files). If the partition is ok, switch it to P(rimary).
TestDisk is not able to list files from btrfs filesystem but if you find a btrfs partition, switch it to P(rimary).
On next screen, choose Write, confirm, Quit and restart your computer.

ks92

Re: btrfs+ext4 partitions recovery from accidental MBR wipe

#3 Post by ks92 »

cgrenier wrote:When there is a list of all the partitions, try to list the ext4 filesystem content ('P' to list files). If the partition is ok, switch it to P(rimary).
TestDisk is not able to list files from btrfs filesystem but if you find a btrfs partition, switch it to P(rimary).
On next screen, choose Write, confirm, Quit and restart your computer.
Okay.