Lost partitions after installing Linux

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Niranjan

Lost partitions after installing Linux

#1 Post by Niranjan »

There used be four partitions on windows c d e f .
Installed Linux, I was expecting only c drive to be removed which contained windows. Now after installing Linux entire hard disc is shown as a single unit of 626GB. So I believe I have lost the partitions. I ran test disc and following are the results. Please check the screenshot I am looking forward to recover those three NTFC partitions at the bottom of the table. Do I have a chance to recover the lost files in those partitions. I used a live cd to run test disc. Didn't disturb anything on the hard drive. I would be glad if someone can help me with that.
Attachments
IMG_0412.JPG
IMG_0412.JPG (69.59 KiB) Viewed 2613 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Lost partitions after installing Linux

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Use the arrow keys to switch the 4 NTFS partitions from D(eleted) to P(rimary).
On next screen, choose Write, confirm, Quit and restart your computer.

Niranjan

#3 Post by Niranjan »

Wow, thanks for the reply. I feel alive again. After restart and logging into the installed Linux would I be able to see the lost ntfc partitions or do I need to recover those contents onto an external drive.

Niranjan

#4 Post by Niranjan »

Could someone please help me
I have restored the drives I require using testdisk. Was Happy that most of my data is intact but a lot is not visible. I was hoping to retrieve the lost files and using a live OS without disturbing the hard drive. All of a sudden all the recovered drives are lost and when the tried to open the drive. It says can't mount file. Tried to perform testdisk again but whe I analysed I couldn't find the ntfc drives recovered earlier. Any solutions please.

cgrenier
Site Admin

#5 Post by cgrenier »

Please post the testdisk.log file content (not a screenshot)

Niranjan

#6 Post by Niranjan »

Hai thanks for the reply. I have performed testdisk with the options you gave and recovered the partitions again this time. I am happy for the recovery but still a lof of data is lost . I see empty folders, do I get to recover the lost files, I did not overwrite with any data.

SyncroScales

#7 Post by SyncroScales »

If the physical drive is recognized and the partition is visible and mounted again, wouldn't Niranjan use a program such as Piriform's - Recuva or cgsecurity.org's - PhotoREC? Then do the deep scans and place the folder(s) onto a large empty external or internal hard-drive so all the contents can be found and not over-write each other?