Partition Recovery or File Recovery? Thank you for answer

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
happydog500

Partition Recovery or File Recovery? Thank you for answer

#1 Post by happydog500 »

Please help, I'm stressed out about this.

I had three HD's in this computer. (1) Linux, (2) Windows 10, (3) a "data" HD with about 650GB's of files, folders, home audio and video files.

I wanted to put a Linux Distro on a USB drive. I used Unetbootin. The next day my whole 320GB Data drive was wiped out. Guessing the Unetbootin formatted the drive instead of the USB.
What I want to do is hook up my 1TB, external HD, and try and recover the whole "Data" drive to the external HD.

If I remember right, the 320GB Data drive was one big drive. Do I use "Partition Recovery" to recover a whole drive, or do they consider Partition Recovery when a drive has multiple partitions, and you want to try and get one of them?

Stressing out because these are irreplaceable, legal docs, family photos, videos, receipts. Would be hundreds and hundreds in folders, sub-folders, single files, mixture of all, about 650GB.

Would it be best to do it in Linux, or Windows? (leaning towards doing it in Windows). It was NTFS, but I believe Unetbootin put it in FAT. Do I use FAT because that's what it is, or NTFS because that's what it was?

Is a whole HD considered a partition recovery? With my set up, can someone give me instructions of the best way?

Thank you,
Chris.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Partition Recovery or File Recovery? Thank you for answer

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Use TestDisk to recover your partitions. Follow https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step