Blank external Hard-drive. Windows says must format it.

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
SyncroScales

Blank external Hard-drive. Windows says must format it.

#1 Post by SyncroScales »

Hello.

I came across testdisk and thought it might help me out. I have an external hard-drive that I am trying to repair for someone else. It is a Western Digital usb3 My Book. It might have started to fail or it was hit by maleware. It is about 2 years old and has been left on a lot. It isn't shut off and packed away when not in use. The partition is RAW.

I installed testdisk on C drive. The external hard-drive is 2 TB. The C drive is smaller. I Created a new log file. I found the external hard-drive. I choose two different ways with the partition type.

1. I first choose Intel/PC partition. There was only one partition on it. It worked somewhat quickly, but I did not try to recover the partition table onto the external hard-drive. I shut-down the computer and the external hard-drive needed to be deep scanned again.
2. I then thought I should select Unknown partition the second time I scanned the hard-drive. This took a long time. I first had a Blue Screen Of Death and had to start over. Then I choose Unknown partition again and did a deep scan. After it ran on my computer for over twelve hours, it was only about 17% done and the log file became huge. Windows told me data will be over-written and I have to delete some files. So I stopped the testdisk program and deleted the 250 GB log file.
3. Before I continue I am wondering about the program.

- Where should I install testdisk and place the log file? Can I install testdisk on C drive and put the log file onto another external hard-drive?
- Will creating a log file make a successful recovery better? Is there more information for the external hard-drive? Is the chance of data retrieval with a program such as PhotoRec or Piriforms Recuva better?
- When the partition table is found should I try and place the partition table onto another hard-drive? I have one that is 2 TB also. It seems it should be re-applied onto the same external hard-drive which is 2 TB?
- The external hard-drive seems empty and even testdisk reported that. But there should be about 250 or more GB on it. Is this normal? This is why I think I need PhotoRec or Recuva.
- The external hard-drive is still RAW. But I tried to use PhotoRec and it actually recognized it. After the PhotoRec scan, nothing was found. For this program or another to work it would require a recognized partition?

Thank you.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Blank external Hard-drive. Windows says must format it.

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Run TestDisk, Advanced, Boot, RebuildBS, List. If you see your files, choose Write, confirm, Quit and restart your computer.
If you have problems, please copy/paste the testdisk.log file content in your message.

SyncroScales

#3 Post by SyncroScales »

There is no partition recognized, it is RAW. Device Manager recognized the external hard-drive, not Disk Management. Windows says I have to re-format it, but I have not done that yet.

The log files were too big, most of the cylinders or bits/bytes were damaged. This message kept being stated in testdisk during the scans.

Since this external hard-drive was NTFS file system and used with Windows 7 should I just select the partition table type as Intel/PC partition?

When or why would I select Unknown? Can Unknown find more information and do a deeper scan?

Why does Unknown partition take up to 4 days for a 2 TB external hard-drive? As I said above The log files were too big, most of the cylinders or bits/bytes were damaged. That is probably why..?

Since the log files are becoming 250GB+, can I install testdisk onto another empty external hard-drive and have the log file there? Can I direct the log file onto a larger empty external hard-drive? I don't want to large log file to over-write the OS c-drive partition.

Can I apply a found partition table onto another different external hard-drive that is the same size as the original?

Thank you.

cgrenier
Site Admin

#4 Post by cgrenier »

Can you post a screenshot for each screen ? TestDisk, Disk selection, partition table type selection, Advanced, Boot

SyncroScales

#5 Post by SyncroScales »

Hello cgrenier.

I attached 5 screenshots.

Testdisk 1-4 JPG's are when I select Intel/PC partition.
Testdisk 5 JPG is when I select None non partitioned media.

At the second screen (Disk selection) to detect all the blank media and HDD's, I blocked out everything else except Disk /dev/sdj (this is the external hard-drive).

Another question I have is: At the second screen (Disk selection) I also noticed some drive letters are not recognized. I have 4 internal drives. Drive E does not show up in the drive letter area at the bottom. But it's size shows up at the Disk /dev/sdb or c area. Is this normal? It is SATA 3, the other HDD's are SATA 2.

I am using Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit.
Attachments
Testdisk1.jpg
Testdisk1.jpg (226.15 KiB) Viewed 3633 times
Testdisk2.jpg
Testdisk2.jpg (221.45 KiB) Viewed 3633 times
Testdisk3.jpg
Testdisk3.jpg (223.95 KiB) Viewed 3633 times
Last edited by SyncroScales on 14 Nov 2016, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.

SyncroScales

#6 Post by SyncroScales »

Screen Shot 4 and 5.
Attachments
Testdisk4.jpg
Testdisk4.jpg (204.84 KiB) Viewed 3634 times
Testdisk5.jpg
Testdisk5.jpg (206.88 KiB) Viewed 3634 times

SyncroScales

#7 Post by SyncroScales »

Hello.

I ran the Unknown search and it took about 4 days. I did not do a deeper scan since I have to turn my computer off. Is it recommended that I redo the long scan and then a deeper scan?

I attached some screen shots. They are in order look at them from the first one down to the last.

Is it recommended that I try to image this unknown/corrupted partition onto another external hard-drive? I have one that is the same 2 TB size and empty.

I re-tried to use testdisk. I selected Intel/PC partition. The scan was much faster. I kept the log file. It is 1.59 GB. I then did a deeper search. The log file became 3.76 GB.

Nothing shows up.

Any advice?
Attachments
Testdisk-NoLog01.jpg
Testdisk-NoLog01.jpg (58.16 KiB) Viewed 3579 times
Testdisk-NoLog02.jpg
Testdisk-NoLog02.jpg (59.92 KiB) Viewed 3579 times
Testdisk-NoLog03.JPG
Testdisk-NoLog03.JPG (43.82 KiB) Viewed 3579 times
Last edited by SyncroScales on 21 Nov 2016, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.

SyncroScales

#8 Post by SyncroScales »

More screen shots.
Attachments
Testdisk-NoLog04.JPG
Testdisk-NoLog04.JPG (35.75 KiB) Viewed 3578 times
Testdisk-NoLog05.JPG
Testdisk-NoLog05.JPG (36.43 KiB) Viewed 3578 times
Testdisk-NoLog06.JPG
Testdisk-NoLog06.JPG (35.08 KiB) Viewed 3578 times

SyncroScales

#9 Post by SyncroScales »

The last three screen shots.
Attachments
Testdisk-NoLog07.JPG
Testdisk-NoLog07.JPG (39 KiB) Viewed 3577 times
TestDisk-IntelPC-DeeperSearch01.JPG
TestDisk-IntelPC-DeeperSearch01.JPG (37.29 KiB) Viewed 3577 times
TestDisk-IntelPC-DeeperSearch02.JPG
TestDisk-IntelPC-DeeperSearch02.JPG (37.58 KiB) Viewed 3577 times

SyncroScales

#10 Post by SyncroScales »

Edited: For bold highlighting.

I thought I would add this information and screen shot.

When looking at the Testdisk menu I plugged in soem external hard-drives and media. I noticed that the corrupted Western Digital hard-drive is a smaller size than other external hard-drives. Some are Western Digital.

Look at Disk /dev sdj - 2000 GB / 1862 GiB - This is corrupted and not showing partitions. Western Digital My Book 2 TB.
Look at Disk /dev/sdk - 2000 GB / 1863 GiB -This is a Western Digital 3.5" 2 TB HDD in an enclosure.

Look above at Disk /dev sdb - 2000 GB / 1863 GiB - This is an internal Western Digital 3.5" 2 TB HDD. Drive D.

Please ignore these drives: There are some flash sticks and other external HDD's I plugged in to see what is happening with them. Drive C is partitioned into drive C and drive G.

The log files are large in GB's. I am having trouble opening them, so there isn't mush information I can post at this time. How can I post them up?

Thank you.
Attachments
Testdisk-MultipleMedia,CorruptIsDifferentSize.JPG
Testdisk-MultipleMedia,CorruptIsDifferentSize.JPG (61.08 KiB) Viewed 3573 times