HD Undetected by WIN, Detected by testdisk ( Unallocated )

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
DejanDJV

HD Undetected by WIN, Detected by testdisk ( Unallocated )

#1 Post by DejanDJV »

I have a hdd sata, 500 GB. By mistate, while i wanted to reinstall win xp, i deleted 2 partitions ( 500 gb, 2 visual partititons, 50 gb for windows, 450 for other files ), by mistake, i deleted bouth. So i turn of the pc, and remove it so i can later restore files, beceuse i need them. After i put other hdd install on him win and put my 500 gb i wanted to see can i restore partition. By windows, there is no my HDD 500 gb, in BIOS he is there, and with testdisk he is there. ( i use test disk 32 bit ). After i analyse my 500 GB, he found 2 partitions, wich i can list files. I have already copy files from my second partititon ( 450 GB ), but only 20 MB took me over 3 hours. Can someone tell me, is there some other way, to maybe restore my original partition, so it is visible from windows ? Or i just can copy files, to my new hdd ?

This is my screen shot while doing quick search:

This took me about 24 hours. And still running

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: HD Undetected by WIN, Detected by testdisk ( Unallocated

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Read errors are displayed. There are usually due to bad sectors. You should clone the disk to a new empty one as described in http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Damaged_Hard_Disk
Once it's done, try to recover your data from the clone.
Good luck

DejanDJV

Re: HD Undetected by WIN, Detected by testdisk ( Unallocated

#3 Post by DejanDJV »

Oh, too bad, i tought there is a better way. Is it possible that my HDD lose all files because that error? If he is connected to my PC, even i dont write files or others to him? Because i need to copy some files with testdisk from him, like i do it before, but then i didnt know many things about this. So you know better, will be some damage on my hdd if i try to copy now some files from him, or the best thing is to diconnect him and connect after i get a new hdd for cloning?

P.S Thank you for fast reply