Cannot recover Boot Sector

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
majorhl

Cannot recover Boot Sector

#1 Post by majorhl »

My computer went haywire and after recovering my system image (while telling Win 10 to ignore my data drives) my system would not recognize my 3TB data drive. When I went into Disk Management it identified it as RAW and now with 3 partitions (previously only having a single partition). My Bios recognizes the drive but it does not appear under Windows Explorer. I found TestDisk online but while it finds the disk and I can see the data is there under one of the partitions it IDs I cannot get it to overwrite the boot sector. While I had told it to create a log I cannot find it. I have screenshots of the steps I took but don't know what File format I can use to attach them. Any help someone might be able to provide would be appreciated as I can see the data is still on the drive and I would like to be able to access it even to copy onto another drive before I need to clear and rest this one.
Thanks

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Cannot recover Boot Sector

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Run TestDisk, Advanced, for each partition, use 'List'. If you can see your files, you can copy them to another disk. If necessary, you can use Analyse, Search, use 'p' on each partition and copy the files.

Windows Explorer hides file extension by default, read "How to show or hide file name extensions in Windows Explorer" https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/865219