reformatted an encrypted drive Topic is solved

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
hozee1978

reformatted an encrypted drive

#1 Post by hozee1978 »

Hello and thank you for this forum. I have a problem in that I am unsure of what to do next. I encrypted an entire drive with veracrypt. I accidentally did a quick format (fat32) on that drive. I used ddrescue to clone it so that I now have two identical drives in case I mess up the first. Test disk does find the NTSF partition but of course it can't list the files as it is encrypted. My dilemma is that in order to write the partition I must change the partition type. Should I change ti to logical or primary? Also any help as to how to get it to once again mount in veracrypt would be very welcome.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: reformatted an encrypted drive

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Read http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Recover_ ... ypt_Volume (truecrypt is the old name of veracrypt)
- Corrupted Standard Volume header
- Recovery using whole decryption
You may be able to recover your data via one of this 2 methods.

hozee1978

Re: reformatted an encrypted drive

#3 Post by hozee1978 »

thank you for your reply. I went ahead and changed the partition to primary and used the write option from there. I was able to recover the encryption header and mount the volume with veracrypt but then kept being faced with "windows needs to format this volume" when I tried to access it. I had purchased R-studio a few years back so I tried mounting the volume and then running R-studio. I got lucky. I got all of my files back and none were worse for the wear. Thank you so much for your tool, and thank you so much for taking the time to help people use it correctly.