Recovering RAW drive

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Nelsontreyjones

Recovering RAW drive

#1 Post by Nelsontreyjones »

I had a drive randomly die on my sometime last night. I noticed the computer would hang a lot but could not figure out why so I restart the computer. Every time I restart my computer it would attempt to check disk on my D: drive. So I bypassed it and logged and an noticed drive is listen as RAW now. So I downloaded Testdisk and attempted to recover it. I went to CREATE -> Selected Disk which shows 1500 GB / 1397 Gib -> Intel -> Advanced -> Boot -> Repair MFT and I get "Can't read NTFS MFT". So I backed out then went to Analyse and get this
Partition Start End Size in sectors
1 P HPFS - NTFS 0 32 33 182401 35 34 2930272256
No partition is bootable

Then Quick Search which finds one Partition so I hit "P: list files" and it returns this
* HPFS - NTFS 0 32 33 182401 35 34 2930272256
Can't open filesystem. Filesystem seems damaged.

I then press Enter -> Deeper Search which is where I am now. Am I doing this right, at this rate it seem like it will take over 24 hours if not longer. This drive is not my OS drive but its holds my pictures/music/game installs. The Pictures and music my only concern really. I was going to take screenshot but Windows Explorer is constantly hanging so I cant even get the save dialog to show up. Any help would be appreciated

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Recovering RAW drive

#2 Post by cgrenier »

It looks like there are bad sectors.
Clone your disk to a new empty disk using ddrescue from a Linux LiveUSB/DVD, see https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf for the details
Once it's done, remove the original disk and run PhotoRec against the clone.