Partition Lost?

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
klangster

Partition Lost?

#1 Post by klangster »

Hello everyone,
This is all completely new to me so please forgive me if these questions sound silly! I have a WD HDD that was sitting in a DiskStation that simply stopped working a few days ago. I have removed the HDD and connected to my laptop via a USB enclosure. Windows recognised that a device had been added but didn't show any extra partitions, or drive letters in File Explorer. Disk Management recognises that the disk is online and shows the partition as healthy but doesn't give me the option to add or change a drive letter, only the option to delete the volume.

I have tried both TestDisk and PhotoRec to see if anything can be seen on the disk. PhotoRec is certainly able to pull files from the disk to an alternate location so I'm hopeful that the disk is salvageable but I wonder if I can use TestDisk to help re-assign a drive letter to the partition rather than pull all files to an alternate location using PhotoRec and the deleting the volume and starting again with the disk.

As I say, this is all completely new to me so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Sean

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Partition Lost?

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Please post the testdisk.log file content after running TestDisk, Advanced, Quit