HDD Failure, no idea what to do here AT ALL, please help !!!!

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
lederad

HDD Failure, no idea what to do here AT ALL, please help !!!!

#1 Post by lederad »

Hello, I have a problem and no clue what to do at this point, please help .
Here's the story :

So I have this internal Hitachi HDD (4TB), and until this morning it was working just fine,
while I was unzipping a file (some directories with .wav files) suddenly it got stuck,
the Winrar got stuck, my browser got stuck, I "end tasked" both, restarted my PC and my HDD became Grey and in raw format.....

I already tried different partition recovery softs but nothing is fixing it,
one gave an error "chs and lba don't match", another wrote something about "Usn Journal $j data stream", I can see entire driver's content when I click on Explore on MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro, but the drive is still grey on Windows Explorer and there's nothing I can do to make it "alive" again, I used the TestDisk thingy, but it doesn't seem to help the matters at all (or maybe I don't know how to use it properly).....
Seriously no idea what to do at this point, obviously I can format the whole thing and forget about it, but there are many files I DO need so I have to rebuild the partition table somehow, even so I could just copy the file to another drive and that's it .
any ideas would be MORE than welcome as I'm at the end of my rope here...really....
thanks......

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: HDD Failure, no idea what to do here AT ALL, please help !!!!

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Please try a "chkdsk /f" on this partition and post the results.
Read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf chapter "Repairing filesystems from Windows"

lederad

Re: HDD Failure, no idea what to do here AT ALL, please help !!!!

#3 Post by lederad »

talk about posting too soon :)
I followed online instructions and learned how to copy the files from corrupted HDD with TestDrive and so far I already copied 180.000 files and their original directories, thank god :)
at this point I'll let it run till it's done copying everything and then will throw the damn drive as I don't wanna take any chances to any failures in the future, the drive got some issues for sure .

thank you for this soft, nothing else comes even close and once you get how it works - it works like a charm !!!