Unrecognized Disk Volume

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Kraquin

Unrecognized Disk Volume

#1 Post by Kraquin »

Running Win10 and have a Samsung EVO 250GB SSD as my boot/main drive (C:). It filled up so I bought another Samsung 250GB SSD for extra storage and attempted to clone my main drive to the new SSD. The clone process never worked but what it did do was create a 350MB E: drive within my main drive and a 350MB partition on the new SSD. I have unplugged the new drive from my desktop and plugged it into a laptop and it says the same thing. Additionally "Properties" doesn't see the other 249.6GB left in the new SSD, it just says 90MB of 350MB has been used.

I ran TestDisk and it showed the E: drive mentioned above and the 350 MB partition on the new SSD. I made it do a search and it found the unrecognized 249.6 GB on the new SSD.

So my questions are:

1) Can I delete the E: drive within my main drive that the clone attempt created without any harm?

2) Is there a function within TestDisk that will make the missing volume on the new SSD visible to my OS again?

thanks

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Unrecognized Disk Volume

#2 Post by cgrenier »

You can delete E: if you have no data on it.
If you have no data on your SSD, you can clone your mechanical disk to your SSD using ddrescue.
Read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf chapters "Creating a live USB" and "DDRescue: data recovery from damaged disk".