4,518 Magic Values, what should I do?

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
AdamD

4,518 Magic Values, what should I do?

#1 Post by AdamD »

I'm currently running TestDisk on a disk to try to recover a partition, as was advised by someone from a RAID Recovery Software. It's running, looks like it's going to take a LONG time to finish, and so far there are 4,518 "Magic Values". I'm wondering if, when this program is finished running, would I have to choose from these thousands of 'magic values,' in which case I might as well give up now, or will it attempt to find the right one? At this rate, it looks like it'll take days to complete, maybe even weeks, so I'd like to know if I should just abort (if I'd have to choose between these 4,518 magic values). Here's an example of a magic value I'm talking about, taken from the log file:

HFS+ magic value at 768096/0/1
part_size 1564636384
HFS 768096 5860371775 5859603680
HFS+ blocksize=4096, 3000 GB / 2794 GiB

Here's the history of my problem:
I have a LaCie big4 Quadra. It was giving me problems, I eventually discovered that the problem was that they had sent me the wrong power adapter, 9V instead of 12V. Before I knew that, however, I had tried a number of things to get it working again, I had taken all the drives out and blew it out, thinking maybe dust was making a bad connection. Anyway, I put the drives back in, accidentally in the wrong order... I spoke with someone at LaCie, and he said that putting the drives in the wrong order would make the Big4 Quadra immediately begin to rebuild the RAID. I'm hoping it only changed data on an eprom or flash chip in the Big4 Quadra rather than actually changing data on the disks, I definitely did not hear the heads clicking away, so I think there's a good chance my data is still there. I used ReclaiMe RAID recovery to recover the RAID 5, when it finished (7 days later), I told it to save the RAID to a disk, a 3TB drive I just bought for this purpose. It took 3 days to save it, but it finally finished. Now that it's finished, I hooked it up to my Mac (it's an HFS partition), and said it couldn't recognize it. The woman from ReclaiMe said that often the metadata gets scrambled, causing the partition to not be recognized, she then suggested I try TestDisk. So that's where I am now.

Thanks in advance for any help.
-Adam