GPT PROTECTIVE PARTITION

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Mark1000

GPT PROTECTIVE PARTITION

#1 Post by Mark1000 »

I filled up two 8 TB hard drives in an Akitio Thunderbolt3 dual hard drive enclosure. Each was about 70% full of docs and primarily media video files. I took these drives out of the enclosure and put in two new drives.

I put the original 70% full 8tb drives in separate usb 3.0 enclosures to transfer files to another computer. These were two separate random usb 3.0 enclosures (I have many) that i have used many times without a problem. The drives did not appear in windows 10 so I went to disk manager. Each drive had two partitions:

BASIC 7452 GB ONLINE: with

2,048 GB HEALTHY (GPT PROTECTIVE PARTITION) and
4,408 GB UNALLOCATED

Windows will not assign a drive letter and i CANNOT ACCESS The data. I tried putting the drives back in the Akitio Thunderbolt3 enclosure with the same result (gpt protective partition). After much research, there have been others with a similar problem but nobody has come up with a solution.

My primary objective is to recover the data (and the drives if possible). The other two drives in the Akitio enclosure are functioning fine with one partition that says 7451 GB NTFS Healthy (Primary Partition). I am reluctant to take them out and put them in another enclosure for fear of the same problem.

Please advise with a solution if you have one. Thanks for your consideration.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: GPT PROTECTIVE PARTITION

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Run TestDisk 7.1-WIP, select the disk, EFI GPT, Analyse, Quick Search, Quit and copy/paste the content of the testdisk.log file on the forum.