Still could use some help! Unsure of how to proceed

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Moki

Re: Still could use some help! Unsure of how to proceed

#11 Post by Moki »

Thank you, Fiona, for the reply. I should have mentioned that I already disabled MSE. There are no Norton products on this computer and no other antivirus running. My firewall is still active, that's it. I'm a little perplexed as to the 'write error' if it's a permissions issue. I'm currently running as Administrator in 'safe mode with Internet' on an older XP Home system and the drive in question is hooked up as a slave.

The drive itself is newer, and there have been no problems with it. It was working great until I tried to re-install, so it is very unlikely that it is a hardware issue. TestDisk says the volume is okay. I'm betting it's something simple that's keeping it from writing. I'm still stuck. :(

Moki

#12 Post by Moki »

I'm still hoping to complete the recovery of my disk .... I'm determined to see this through to the end! I can't find anything anywhere on what a 'write error' might mean and how to fix it ... is there some way to change permissions on those files, if that's the issue, or can I just copy all the files and then format the disk and copy them back over? I wish I was more knowledgeable, but at this point I really don't want to do anything that might be a mistake. Help?

Bicgatepc02

#13 Post by Bicgatepc02 »

Ok you can try Atola partition find and mount to see if the same problem occur. It is free as well but works only on windows. You can recover files as well directly but speed is slower on the free version.....worth giving it a shot.
You can check on this link for more info if you understand french.