can I recover a overwritten windows 7 hard disk by kali linux

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
sreeste

can I recover a overwritten windows 7 hard disk by kali linux

#1 Post by sreeste »

Hello,

I am using Dell Inspirion N5050 and I tried installing latest Kali version (I do not know exactly) but I just downloaded a week ago. I was using windows 7 before it wiped out. I have a single harddisk. I do not know much specifications of my laptop in details.

I mistakenly wiped out windows 7 and all my data from my pc when I was trying to install Kali linux.

The installation process for kali linux failed because when i start my pc only a black screen with white blinking cursor appears and my windows 7 is completely wiped out. I cannot access my pc. I have been searching for solution and I came across testdisk and photorec but I am not sure if it will work for me. I have seen a couple of tutorials as well but I am afraid to try those solutions to solve my problem.

Should I give it a try?

any help is much appreciated..

Thank you!

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: can I recover a overwritten windows 7 hard disk by kali linux

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Try TestDisk, after Analyse and Quick Search, if you don't see your NTFS partition, choose Deeper Search.
Select the NTFS partition use 'p' to list the files.
If the files are ok, set this partition as P(rimary) or *(bootable), on next screen, choose Write, confirm, Quit and restart your computer.