HDD had 2 partitions but now only 1, i can see the files in testdisk but i can't get my partition back.

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
thornax

HDD had 2 partitions but now only 1, i can see the files in testdisk but i can't get my partition back.

#1 Post by thornax »

Hey,
So i have this internal HDD seagate BarraCuda 3TB. I made 2 partitions, 1 of 2000 GB with the name FIles ( D: ) and 1 of 750 GB with the name of Games ( E: ) .
I did some windows updates and suddenly my Games ( E: ) wasn't showing anymore so i looked in Disc management and i saw it was unallocated. I used testdisk to recover the partition.I used logical to do it, (i followed a tutorial on youtube). And now the space is useable but it is not showing, i still don't have my Games ( E: ) drive back. Can anyone help me with this problem?
I will put some screenshot with more info.
So as you can see testdisk recognises my game partition.
And shows here it is usable and ok.
But only the D: drive is showing, not the E: drive.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: HDD had 2 partitions but now only 1, i can see the files in testdisk but i can't get my partition back.

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Set the partition Games to Primary. On next screen, choose Write, confirm, Quit, restart your computer.
If the partition Games is still not listed, disable your antivirus while using testdisk, it may have blocked the write operation.

thornax

Re: HDD had 2 partitions but now only 1, i can see the files in testdisk but i can't get my partition back.

#3 Post by thornax »

So i did all things you said me to do and my disk manager looks better

but my Games ( E: ) is still not visible.
I rightclicked on the 746,52 GB part and selected change drive letter and paths .. because i thought maybe i can just give it the drive letter myself but when i do that i get this error:

I did the things the error suggested me to do but after doing those things i still get the error.
Any ideas?

sachinkhanna32

#4 Post by sachinkhanna32 »

thornax wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 17:09 Hey,
So i have this internal HDD seagate BarraCuda 3TB. I made 2 partitions, 1 of 2000 GB with the name FIles ( D: ) and 1 of 750 GB with the name of Games ( E: ) .
I did some windows updates and suddenly my ( E: ) wasn't showing anymore so i looked in Disc management and i saw it was unallocated. I used testdisk to recover the partition.I used logical to do it, (i followed a tutorial on youtube). And now the space is useable but it is not showing, i still don't have my Games ( E: ) drive back. Can anyone help me with this problem?
I will put some screenshot with more info.
So as you can see testdisk best self propelled lawn mower recognises my game partition.
And shows here it is usable and ok.
But only the D: drive is showing, not the E: drive.
Set the games partition to primary