Windows can find drive size

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
fpefpe

Windows can find drive size

#1 Post by fpefpe »

Hello – Any insight with this would be appreciate.

About a year ago I replaced the 2 hard drives for my win7 os. Both were 1tb – first drive is the boot drive and the second was just for data – the boot drive was having some sort of I/O issues so, I replaced both drive. I replaced the boot drive with a 1tb drive – and since the second
drive was just a “data” drive – I replaced the 1tb drive with a 3tb drive

after the new hardware installed, I started up the computer — I was able to clone the boot drive and win7 started up fine.

So now I wanted to format the second drive, but windows was telling me the the size of the
second disk was just 768gb – I then reboot, when to the BIOS and that reported the drive as 3TB.

I then took out the 3tb drive and formatted on another win7 machine – creating a GPT and it formatted the full 3tb –

I then put that drive back in the computer and window now sees a 3tb drive, tools like testdisk
still see the size as 768gb

It seems to be working OK I was able to write files to it and last time I checked I was using more that 50% of the drive

Today when I switched to my usual id on the machine – I got a blue screen and when the system restarted the second drive was gone and when I looked at it with the windows disk manager is said the format is now “raw”

I been using the drive for backups – which can get quite large – im my case over 180gb – I don’t know if this caused the problem – but the best I can tell from the event log is that the drive was failing hours before a scheduled backup failed with i/o errors

the testdisk log files is attached
log.zip
(1.33 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
Any help on how to get windows to find the true size of the disk would be appreciated - Thanks

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Windows can find drive size

#2 Post by cgrenier »

The log file is truncated, there is nothing except of list of disks.
If you disk is seen as "raw", read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf cahpter "Repairing filesystem"

fpefpe

Re: Windows can find drive size

#3 Post by fpefpe »

Hello -- Thanks for your reply and info

I came to testdisk too late in the process and started to restore the data from backups --

I would appreciate any thoughts on the size issues for the drive