I do not know what to do, i can not write on disk

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
NooobNiinja

I do not know what to do, i can not write on disk

#1 Post by NooobNiinja »

So i was trying to install manjaro alongside windows and manjaro ended up instead of taking a part of one partition he ``deleted`` all particions(931GB unalocated now) and there was important stuff on my windows and i went on to use a distro with TestDisk and it could recognize/detecte the partition and everything inside and the folder that i want to retreat but i went on to select and then i should choose where to put the folder but there was no particion on the HD so maybe that was the reason i tried to write but could not. I tried also to write the whole particion but it gave me an error message i couldnt write i think cause i do not have a partition for it to wirte to IDK i choose intel at the beggning i did not quite understand the categories maybe i should have choosen none but there was a warning so i was fearful. I tried to put another hd so i could select the file and write it to another HD but i could not select it to recive the files i know i should have made a backup and i made alot of mistakes but a help would really save me. So should i go with none(at the beggning intead of intel) should i use something else i have no idea, i have not written anything nor created a partition maybe creating a partition would make a place for the program to write the data to but im afraid of corrupting the data there. Im a noob but a help would save me. Thanks for reading.
PS:IDK if this was confusing or had alot of mistakes english is not my first language.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: I do not know what to do, i can not write on disk

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Te most common cause blocking write operation are
- antivirus
- bad sectors
- mounted partition
- a partition has been select (ie. C:) instead of a PhysicalDrive
If you want to copy your files somewhere else, it's possible to plug an external harddisk.

NooobNiinja

#3 Post by NooobNiinja »

So idk maybe i was not clear enough sry. Basically im operating testdisk on a livecd with caine and my HD is unalocated so when i select files he asks me where to put them but its 50gb and the usb stick has only 8gb and is running caine so theres no way. So should i make a partition on the unalocated hd where the stuff im trying to recover are or should i not cause im afraid of losing data when i tried to intall manjaro and the instaler not quite deleted but instead of creating a partition for it it just failed and unalocated everything with test disk i can see all the files in my windows but when i tried to write the whole partition it gave me write error so manjaro must have done something else idk so now im just trying to recover the files.So in resume should i format the hd to make a room to put the files or is that risky thanks.

NooobNiinja

#4 Post by NooobNiinja »

Instead of using testdisk from a livecd but from a windows in another hard drive i was able to recover the important files, thanks for trying to help me sry if i wasted your time. You can close the thread, TY