Help! 8tb drive became raw, partitions not found

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
miwashi

Help! 8tb drive became raw, partitions not found

#1 Post by miwashi »

I just tried testdisk and this is what I got:

Code: Select all

Disk /dev/sdb - 8001 GB / 7452 GiB - CHS 972801 255 63
Current partition structure:
     Partition                  Start        End    Size in sectors
                                                                                                                        No FAT, NTFS, ext2, JFS, Reiser, cramfs or XFS marker
 1 P MS Reserved                   34     262177     262144 [Microsoft reserved partition]
 1 P MS Reserved                   34     262177     262144 [Microsoft reserved partition]
No FAT, NTFS, ext2, JFS, Reiser, cramfs or XFS marker
 2 P MS Data                   264192 15628052479 15627788288 [Basic data partition]
 2 P MS Data                   264192 15628052479 15627788288 [Basic data partition]
It's a single partition, so I think the first one was automatically created by windows.

It says no FAT NTFS etc found.

A quick search says the partition cannot be recoverd. "Can't open filesystem. Filesystem seems damaged". I'm running the deeper search now but I think it might take a few days to complete.

Is there any quicker way to check if this is going to succeed before the deeper search ends?

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Help! 8tb drive became raw, partitions not found

#2 Post by cgrenier »

If you think your partition was an NTFS partition, go in Advanced, Type, set MS Data and next NTFS, Boot, RebuildBS, List.
If you can see your files, choose Write, confirm, Quit

JonnyTestdisk

#3 Post by JonnyTestdisk »

Im curious to know if your able to get your RAW disk fixed. The same thing happened to my 1 terabyte, and 'deep scan' was not able to fix it. I dont have another drive larger to i cant reformat at the moment.

Now if you have data you need to get off, and space, at least for the important stuff, you can try to access your drive in a linux OS, for me that still works. But to actually fix the drive w/out reformatting, thats my mission and could use any clues you may run in to. and i will likewise try to help you if i can. Like i said you may still be able to access your drive from a linux machine, if you dont have one, burn Lubuntu to a liveCD (may have to be a dvd), and boot from the disk. Then try plugging in your 8tb and you may have access.. again this is not a fix but a way to recover important data if needed..

miwashi

#4 Post by miwashi »

I couldn't get it fixed and lost everythin

testdisk found nothing but corrupted file systems

strange how NTFS and GPT is supposed to keep redundant file tables but it doesn't help at all.