Please Help Me!! I will lost my data.

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
nightccl

Please Help Me!! I will lost my data.

#1 Post by nightccl »

A few days ago I bought 8TB hard and moved all my data there.

This 8TB hard was docked only when needed and left in the 'Dynamic disk' state for use.

However, since 'Disk Management' showed two identical 8TB hard disks, I deleted one of them.

After that, 8TB hard was displayed as 'online' but it could not be accessed because it was not activated.

To solve this problem I have to change 'Dynamic disk' to 'Basic disk' in 'Disk Management', but this will erase all files.

So I downloaded 'testdisk' and changed 'Dynamic disk' to 'Basic disk' as described in the manual.

In the manual, after completing all the processes and rebooting, the hard disk status will be changed to 'Basic disk'.

However, when I actually rebooted, I only saw the boot screen with the mainboard logo and it did not boot up.

I waited for about 6 hours, but nothing progressed.

So I removed the hard disk and was able to reboot again.

When the hard disk was docked, it never booted.

If you connect hard after booting, the PC does not recognize it.

I do not know why the reason for not booting is hard capacity, or something else is wrong.

Is it because I used the 'backup' option during the testdisk process?

How can I solve this problem?

Failure to resolve this issue will result in the loss of all data.

The solution I'm thinking about is to try it on another PC, but I do not know if that's possible.

Please let me know how to fix it.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Please Help Me!! I will lost my data.

#2 Post by cgrenier »

The partition table must be EFI GPT.
When you have used testdisk, have you been able to list the files from your partition ?
If it's the case, you may be able to copy the files again.

You may also want to try to access your files from a Linux LiveUSB (see https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf ).

nightccl

#3 Post by nightccl »

Thank you for answering my question.

I chose 'intel' when choosing partitions.

And unfortunately I did not see the file list because I did not press 'p'.

However, testdisk clearly recognized the hard disk.

The biggest problem is that the computer does not boot when the hard disk is connected.

I can not do anything because it will not boot.

Looking at the other forums, it seems that there is a problem with the mainboard when booting and they recommend me try to 'Clear CMOS'.

I do not know if this is the right way.

And if I create a 'LiveUSB' to access the files and save the files, should I have the same amount of hard disk?

Is not it a good idea to buy an external hard case and connect it to a usb port?

I'm very confused now.

Please give me a solution.

Thanks....

JonnyTestdisk

#4 Post by JonnyTestdisk »

If you use a live linux usb or CD, any other storage medium will work, external HDD etc, your just trying to recover your files, and then reformat the 8tb. IF you already have all your files on the old HDD, then just reformat at that point. If your booting from this 8tb, then apparently (im no expert) something is corrupted and its not going to boot from the 8tb. If your using it as extra storage, then im sure theres some windows reason your regular HDD wont boot with that plugged in.

Regardless, boot from a linux live CD/USB, mount the 8tb, recover your files. Then reformat. I dont know a lot about dynamic, so do some research if you plan on using dynamic disk, or just use it as basic. Research the filesystem you want to use, and dont forget you can use gparted to partition the 8tb into multiple partitions, if needed.