Recover EXFAT partition, apparently erased almost all files and folders

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
giames

Recover EXFAT partition, apparently erased almost all files and folders

#1 Post by giames »

Hi all, I'm Giacomo, I'm a filmmaker and I am a newby in this forum. I apologise in advance for my English, I hope you undestand everything.
I'm trying to recover a 2tb external hard drive formatted EXFAT, which was full of videos and files i would like to recover. It suddenly went off while I was working on a project on my Mac, then it went automatically on again and almost everything seemed to be erased except for two folders that were been added recently. Also the name of the drive was changed automatically from Albus to Untitled. The files and folders are there hidden (I did a scan with a free version of a data recovery software), and utility disk tell me the the free space is 1,8tb. Before this happaned it has approximately 200gb free.
The question is, is it possible to try to recover the file system and partition as it was before, or should I proceed to recover files and folders with a data recovery software?
I attach log file of a deepscan I did whit testdisk, is a huge logfile, it shows millions of partitions (???), and some screenshots.
I really don't know what to do, it seems pretty much screwed up.
The logfile is in a .zip in the following link because it's too long and too heavy to upload it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5c6326pt6yv6s ... e.zip?dl=0
Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Recover EXFAT partition, apparently erased almost all files and folders

#2 Post by cgrenier »

If you find your deleted files in the huge list of files, copy them.
If they are missing, use PhotoRec. Be careful to store the recovered files on another disk. You will have to check manually each recovered file...

giames

Re: Recover EXFAT partition, apparently erased almost all files and folders

#3 Post by giames »

Ok, thanks for the quick answer!
So you are telling me that, after copying the files, there is no way I can try to fix the partition to make it as it was before?