Recover partition knowing the partition offset

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
gnam

Recover partition knowing the partition offset

#1 Post by gnam »

Hello! I've just started using TestDisk in order to recover a lost exFat corrupted partition under linux.

The partition was formatted with exfat-fuse so there's no way of mounting it on Windows and fix it (I've discovered that late).

I might have messed up with TestDisk somehow as now the hard drive only detects HFS+ and fat16 partitions (which weren't there)

With the help of R-Studio I made more light on the situation, after scanning all the sectors..this is the situation of the disk:
The attachment part2.png is no longer available
The partition I'm trying to recover is that exFAT, with the label "BYTE" (Recover7)
I managed to find out the partition offset and number of sectors involved (see screenshot below)
part2.png
part2.png (49.79 KiB) Viewed 2228 times
Is there any way I can recover and keep only that partition on disk with TestDisk inserting the correct partition offset and number of sectors?
Thanks alot I hope you can help :)
Attachments
partition.png
partition.png (57.98 KiB) Viewed 2228 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Recover partition knowing the partition offset

#2 Post by cgrenier »

If you are using EFI partition table, you can manually add ('a' key) an MS Data/exFAT partition at offset 476672 with a size of 9684915712 sectors.
You can also check the partition listed by TestDisk after Analyse, Quick Search and Deeper Search if necessary.

gnam

#3 Post by gnam »

cgrenier wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 18:37 If you are using EFI partition table, you can manually add ('a' key) an MS Data/exFAT partition at offset 476672 with a size of 9684915712 sectors.
You can also check the partition listed by TestDisk after Analyse, Quick Search and Deeper Search if necessary.
Thanks for your reply. I'll do some more tests today and report back

gnam

#4 Post by gnam »

Unfortunately I reach the point where it says "Can't open filesystem. Filesystem seems damages". Any chances to fix a damaged partition with TestDisk?
Thanks!

cgrenier
Site Admin

#5 Post by cgrenier »

The pdf contains a chapter about "Repairing Filesystem". If it doesn't work, you can always use PhotoRec to recover your data.