Mount Drive with Conflicting OS

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
xgallo

Mount Drive with Conflicting OS

#1 Post by xgallo »

So losing my mind over here. I had an old iomega 2x1TB NAS that I used to save all our family photos, videos and digital history from years past. The Nas stopped working about 6 months ago so I just shut it off and assumed my data was safe because I had redundancy. When I finally got around to extracting the files on my mac or win7 machines neither drives would mount. I initially assumed the partition was corrupt so I ran multiple variants of disk recovery software all with poor results. Basically all of them would only pull data based on deep search which does not recover the file structure tree, file names, created dates etc...Only random numbers for each file.

After running TestDisk I noticed it sees my partition as a Linux Raid 1 and even recognizes the name of the drive. I created a disk image which gave me an image.dd file and this is where I am stuck. The IOMEGA is shot and this was the only linux based hardware I owned. Can I mount the disk image with the linux RAID partition on my windows or mac? Can I change the partition to NTFS safely and keep my file structure? Do I need to download and install linux to be able to get to my files? I just bought a new Synology NAS so I have a place to put the files, Just looking for a way to get the files off the drive while maintaining the file info integrity.

Any help you can give this newb is greatly appreciated. Thanks

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Mount Drive with Conflicting OS

#2 Post by cgrenier »

You need to have a working Linux to access the data on the Linux software raid partition.
As described in https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf you can use a Linux LiveUSB.