How to recover multiple formated and re-partitioned drive data to external data using testDisk

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
enkuex

How to recover multiple formated and re-partitioned drive data to external data using testDisk

#1 Post by enkuex »

My windows drive was mistakenly formatted and re-partitioned several times due to faulty Ubuntu installation and recovering partition on the current drive which i understood my mistake now.
Recovering a lost partition with an-allocated space would have been easy to restore, however, I have never seen examples either in youtube on recovering a case that happened to me, hence I tried in my first attempt to create a new logical drive hoping the current working ubuntu drive size might dynamically resized. How ever I lost Ubuntu as wel.

currently the machine is of Ubuntu 18.04 version single drive of 1 TB. and I fortunately found my drives with tedious search among unrecoverable drives and corrupted drives. using testDisk.

how can i transfer the drve data /files/ folders or the overall drive to external drive?
In the current testdisk run, i didn't plug in external hard disk, should it be analyzed on searching?
Attachments
Screenshot from 2018-09-09 14-00-49.png
Screenshot from 2018-09-09 14-00-49.png (93.36 KiB) Viewed 951 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: How to recover multiple formated and re-partitioned drive data to external data using testDisk

#2 Post by cgrenier »

If you want to copy the files, you need to plug your external harddisk, mount it (click on it on the Files manager). Using TestDisk when you list your files, select the directory to copy, press the key 'c', choose the destination.
Your external HDD is probably under /run/media, /media or /mnt