Testdisk and photorec can't find destination drive - no mount

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
RolandL

Testdisk and photorec can't find destination drive - no mount

#1 Post by RolandL »

Hello,

Please be patient with me as it's been 15 years since running Linux.

I'm using Gparted Live CD which has testdisk and photorec. And my issue applies to both programs.

With testdisk, I can see the hardware of the source drive with bad partition and bad boot sec (/dev/sda), the destination drive formatted in Windows as NTFS (/dev/sdb) and the CDROM drive (/dev/sr0).

I can access the source drive and go through the directory tree (in either quick search or deeper search modes) and find the file(s) I want to copy. I hit 'c'.

Testdisk directs me to the destination folder but then I try give access the /mnt or /media directory, there's no mount. sudo findmnt gives me nothing.

Using the /dev/disk/by disk_label (I don't remember the correct wording), I can see the volume of the destination drive so I hit 'C'. My drive light blinks for a few seconds but when I check the drive, there's not files.

Should I just install Debian or Ubuntu on the destination drive and run testdisk from terminal there?

Every video I've seen on correct use of testdisk or photorec doesn't appear to be run from a Live CD. Is this my issue?

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Testdisk and photorec can't find destination drive - no mount

#2 Post by cgrenier »

You need to mount the destination. On recent Linux, it's under /run/media.