Accidentally formatted a partition

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
mn1024

Accidentally formatted a partition

#1 Post by mn1024 »

Hey guys,

I know this has been asked many times over but I just don't seem to find the same case as I have.
I wanted to install windows on my friend's computer and I formatted the system partition (since that's the usual way I do it)...
Of course, my friend had all his personal data on the system partition and hasn't even touched the primary partition.

So the same second I formatted the system partition I realised what I have done and I started seeking options for recovery.
I've installed Live Ubuntu and installed TestDisk.
TestDisk has showed both partitions, one empty (system partition; since I've formatted it) and one semi empty (primary partition; a few files are on it, didn't touch this one, so this one is okay).
If I list the files on the system partition there are only . and .. directories, which are of no help, but the primary partition has all files located correctly.
I've tried with DeepSearch but there are still no files on the system partition...
How can I recover the friend's personal data (photos, documents,...) on the system partition after it was formatted?
I don't want to hit "Write" in TestDisk as I'm not yet seeing my friend's personal data...

Is TestDisk useless when it comes to partition formatting? Should I use PhotoRec instead?

Thanks for the help!

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Accidentally formatted a partition

#2 Post by cgrenier »

As the partition has been formated, you should use PhotoRec.