I accidentally deleted a volume in my HDD, I need help Topic is solved

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Kellogs1992

I accidentally deleted a volume in my HDD, I need help

#1 Post by Kellogs1992 »

Hi, nice to meet you.

I need your help to see if it is possible to recover the data from a HDD that I accidentally damaged using diskpart. Well I explain in summary how everything happened. A couple of days ago I decided to install Windows 10 on a SSD (120GB); besides that SSD I have a HDD (1TB) where I have all my files stored. But first to install Windows 10 I needed to convert the SSD from MBR to GPT. So I did this from the CMD:
diskpart
list disk
- disk 0 (SSD) 120gb
- disk 1 (HDD) 1tb (it has 2 partitions, the 1st in 900gb and the other 100gb)
select disk 0
clean
create part pri
select part 1
format fs=ntfs
select disk 0
detail disk
select volume 1 (this is where I think I made the mistake, volume 1 was the 1st partition of disk 1 HDD I think, I didn't check it)
delete volume
convert gpt (here it gave me an error and could not convert to GPT)
Then I went back to the installer of Windows 10 and in the part where it asks you to select the unit where you are going to install Windows I realized the damage I had done. Not only I was not able to convert the SSD to GPT but also accidentally deleted the volume of the HDD (1st partition of 900gb) where I had my files; the 2nd partition was not damaged.

I took a capture in Linux of the current state of the HDD. You can see the "sin asignar" (unassigned) partition with 833.86 GB.

Is this recoverable using TestDisk? and if so, Is these the correct steps I should follow?
- Run TestDisk as admin
- Select a disk (In this case dev/sdb)
- [ Intel ]
- [ Analyse ]
- [ Quick search ]
If it finds it.
- A: add partition
Sorry, I just want to be sure that I'm doing it correctly.

By the way, I already managed to convert the SSD to GPT and install Windows 10 correctly, but this time of course, I did it by disconnecting the HDD to avoid doing more damage. Currently I still have it disconnected.

I would appreciate if you could help me. Thanks and regards.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: I accidentally deleted a volume in my HDD, I need help

#2 Post by cgrenier »

When TestDisk find the partition after Quick Search or Deeper Search, the partition you want to keep or recover need to be set as P(rimary).
On next screen, choose Write, confirm, Quit and restart

Kellogs1992

Re: I accidentally deleted a volume in my HDD, I need help

#3 Post by Kellogs1992 »

cgrenier wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 10:39 When TestDisk find the partition after Quick Search or Deeper Search, the partition you want to keep or recover need to be set as P(rimary).
On next screen, choose Write, confirm, Quit and restart
Thank you very much for your help. It worked :D . It was very easy too. All my files seems to be fine. Lesson learned. In the future I will be more careful hehe :oops:

Thank you and best regards.