3TB drive missing

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Class

3TB drive missing

#1 Post by Class »

My external drive didn't show up, after I've attached. Windows gave an error "drive not accessible".

Since test disk was helping me in past many time, immediately launched it. After several analysis, I don't know what happened to this drive. :(

Step 1 Selecting drive - here I already see a problem, this should be named just like the other, it's a TOSHIBA drive.

Step 2 Detect GPT table - i believe the table should be INTEL, I rarely format GPT

I did change here the analysis, when i go with GPT i will get MS Data partition to be found, also boot is identical, etc. buuuut files are missing when i list them, they are just not there. So I've did an analysis as intel also. Then it's did find a HFS...NTFS partition, the same as the MS Data. Deep analysis run for several hours when INTEL was selected, and found 2 FAT partition in the background. Same I've did for GPT (but terminated at 8% and 18h later, with that rate it would take the drive take 9+ days to complete) - side question, which was deep analysis so much faster when INTEL was selected?

Anyway back to topic, Step 3 - Analysis - Quick seach:

What should I do now? I've checked, listed files are just fragments of what the drive should contain, it's barely 10GB from the almost full 3TB. :roll:

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: 3TB drive missing

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Run "cmd" (Right click run as administrator) and "chkdsk /f p:". What is the output ?
If the disk become inaccessible during the fsck, you may have to clone it using ddrescue (cf https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf ) and try to access your files on the clone using testdisk.