Quick formated partition, cant reach any files

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
gra3vis

Quick formated partition, cant reach any files

#1 Post by gra3vis »

Hello, guys

Been trying to recover files from accidental quick format on one of my SSD drive partitions. The problem is, that while in formating i realised that i'm formating the wrong drive and quickly tried to press X and stop. So i think because of this i cant recreate my files.

On drive i have two partitions. Local disk C (my normal, not formated with system files) and Local disk D (partition which have been acidentaly formated)

Currently partition in explorer shows as NTFS when i press on formated partition it asks to format and it says that something wrong with this partition. In Disk management it says that partition is raw file system.

*Firstly i tried EASYUS recovery, but it gave me only big sfw files.
*Secondly i tried chdsk in cmd, it said that partition is raw file system, and it can't do anything
*Next step: i found on the internet about TestDisk, so tried quick scan it easily found my second partition where my system files are stored, by doing deep scan it found my lost partition and somehow there was written as i remember FAT12, but couldn't list any files - got messages like disk seems too small (or smth like this) and invalid boot sector FAT12.
*Next step: while surfing in the internet found that i need to recover boot table, so in advanced mode, selected lost partition, there was info that Boot sector Status: Bad and Backup boot sector Status: Bad, so i tried mft search over all sectors, but nothing happened.
*So did another scan, now there was info that my filesystem is damaged.
*Did scan in photorec on whole hard, along my formated and other partition (which is ok, and safe) files from normal partition which is okay came good, but files from formated one became also as sfw.

Guys is there any solutions to recover that partition? Or atleast any files from it?

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Quick formated partition, cant reach any files

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Can you try again PhotoRec ? Enable the Expert mode in Options, start a recovery, use a 512-bytes blocksize, use the default option otherwise.
Does it recover valid files this time ?