Harddisk Seems too Small / partition can't be recovered

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
InNeedofHelp

Harddisk Seems too Small / partition can't be recovered

#1 Post by InNeedofHelp »

Hello all,

First off, thank you so much for this great software and community.
I am of course here because I am in need of desperate help. My 1.5TB WD external HD was suddenly inaccessible recently. I don't know if it was coincidence but it could have happened after windows update.

After trying to get it to connect, I got the cyclic redundancy error. I could not run checkdisk to fix the error. I made a mistake by panicking and rushing to use EaseUS to try to convert the HD to raw format and my computer crashed at some point in the process. I tried running photorec to recover my images and it did recover a certain amount of files, but after 23 hours had elapsed, it appeared to stop/hang and then said estimated time was 559 hours or so. I then ran Analyse partition structure and it showed the first partition listed twice. Below is an image of the results after searching.

If I had let photorec continue running, would it have possible found more files? Is there a certain point were you would just stop letting it run?
Can anyone help with what action I should take next going off of the attached image? I'm so lost right now. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
testdisk search results.JPG
testdisk search results.JPG (56.78 KiB) Viewed 908 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Harddisk Seems too Small / partition can't be recovered

#2 Post by cgrenier »

You have seen CRC errors, it means there are bad sectors.
You should clone the disk using ddrescue to a new empty disk using ddrescue as described in https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Once it's done, remove the original disk and try photorec on the clone.
Good luck