Boot drive not initializing

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Lightus

Boot drive not initializing

#1 Post by Lightus »

Hi,

I have a Kingston A400 240 GB SSD. I am using Windows 10. Yesterday my boot ssd stopped working while i was installing a game and the power went off. I have a UPS for backup but it gave up very quickly and the computer shutdown. I reinstalled windows on my other SSD (during the formatting process I could see the disk showing unallocated space but i wasn't able to format it) and checked the disk management window where it shows that the drive is not initialized. Using the inbuilt tool doesn't help as it gives an error 'The system cannot find the file specified'. I then used testdisk - first I went into the advanced option but it says no partition available. After that selecting Analyse threw a read error. After doing quick search I got a comment 'No partition found or selected for recovery'. Doing a Deeper Search results in the same comment. What should i do now? Is my drive dead?

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Boot drive not initializing

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Use a tool (ie. from the disk manufacturer) to check the SMART status of your disk.