Confused on "No partition from this disk must be mounted"

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Woopwoopwoop

Confused on "No partition from this disk must be mounted"

#1 Post by Woopwoopwoop »

I've recently gone back to macos Mojave from Catalina and have accidentally erased the files on my Macintosh HD - Data. The MacOs Catalina update has made it so there are now two separate drives for internal storage. The aforementioned Macintosh HD - Data which stores all your files and Macintosh HD which stores all OS files. Now onto the problem.

I can no longer use teskdisk to recover that lost partition as Apple has made Macintosh HD read only to "prevent system files from being deleted". Teskdisk needs all partitions to be unmounted and writable in order to modify files, so I don't know how I am going to recover my deleted Macintosh HD - Data if I can't write on and or unmount my Macintosh HD. (I can't unmount Macintosh HD as it actually runs my OS, disabling it would just not make my Mac work.

I hope this wasn't confusing and I would greatly appreciate if anyone with some Mac knowledge or has encountered this problem before can help me fix it. Thanks for reading!

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Confused on "No partition from this disk must be mounted"

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Looks like you will have to move your disk to another macos computer...

Woopwoopwoop

Re: Confused on "No partition from this disk must be mounted"

#3 Post by Woopwoopwoop »

I just got an idea. I don't have another mac so I think the best way will be to run the macOS mojave on my external usb (the one that I previously used as a boot to get mojave in the first place). So then testdisk should be able to write on my Macintosh HD. Maybe?

I've got a ton of school work for now so I'll make sure to tell you what happens to that attempt most-likely during the weekend. Thank you so much for the advice! I've never thought of solving the problem that way. :D