Holy crap - THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
eyeconic

Holy crap - THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

#1 Post by eyeconic »

I managed to destroy a 6TB disk with 1 TB of CD rips, Linux backups, 4K movies and so on. I thought this was a lost cause. fdisk did not list any partitions. I don't know what I did with testdisk or what testdisk did but my partitions are back. All of the data has been restored. Every file. I think that all I had to do was to confirm the disk geometry that testdisk selected and voila.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Holy crap - THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

#2 Post by cgrenier »

You are welcome ;-)

Hashim

Re: Holy crap - THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

#3 Post by Hashim »

eyeconic wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 18:08 I managed to destroy a 6TB disk with 1 TB of CD rips, Linux backups, 4K movies and so on. I thought this was a lost cause. fdisk did not list any partitions. I don't know what I did with testdisk or what testdisk did but my partitions are back. All of the data has been restored. Every file. I think that all I had to do was to confirm the disk geometry that testdisk selected and voila.
After recovering the partitions with TestDisk and restarting the computer as prompted did you have to do anything else to make your data disk's folder structure visible to the file manager again?