What can go wrong when I rewrite partition table?

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
anonimous

What can go wrong when I rewrite partition table?

#1 Post by anonimous »

No real risk to data right? It just create new partition table, while data stay intact, so even if something will go wrong and this new partition table turn out to be me faulty or something, I still can do it all over again with new settings right, because data stay unaffected only partition table being edited?
Is my understanding correct?

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: What can go wrong when I rewrite partition table?

#2 Post by cgrenier »

If you are only writting partition table with no L(ogical) partition, only the MBR is modified. You can run TestDisk again if needed.
If there are logical partitions, an additional sector is modified for each logical partition.
The risk is very low but it's safer to use only P(rimary) and/or *(bootable) partitions. There is a limit of 4 primary partitions in a PC Intel partition table, so it's not always possible to not use L(ogical) partitions.
Windows chkdsk wrongly repairing a filesystem is the most dangerous possible thing.

anonimous

#3 Post by anonimous »

That you very much for reply, because Im kinda stuck here horrified to do next move.

"Windows chkdsk wrongly repairing a filesystem is the most dangerous possible thing."
It can be initialised by testdisk, or you talking about this disk checking blue screen that sometimes pop on the loading on windows XP?

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

anonimous wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 06:47 "Windows chkdsk wrongly repairing a filesystem is the most dangerous possible thing."
It can be initialised by testdisk, or you talking about this disk checking blue screen that sometimes pop on the loading on windows XP?
The CHKDSK command is not started/run/called by Testdisk.
Yes, this "disk checking blue screen" is caused by the CHKDSK command, invoked by the starting computer system.

anonimous

#5 Post by anonimous »

cgrenier wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 15:41 Windows chkdsk wrongly repairing a filesystem is the most dangerous possible thing.
How can I make sure that this is not gonna happen? What are countermeasures to prevent this when using testdisk?

recuperation

#6 Post by recuperation »

Run Testdisk under Linux.
Duplicate your faulty drive before you are trying to recover anything.