Whole partitions lost and TestDisk reads capacity wrongly

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
MUYOMUAB

Whole partitions lost and TestDisk reads capacity wrongly

#1 Post by MUYOMUAB »

Well, hello every one, allow me to describe the problem.

During a normal online installation I heard one of my 2 HDDs turning of and then on immediately.

Of course it was my second HDD because the windows kept running normally, for sure the 2nd HDD partitions disappeared, so I ran quickly and turned the PC off by holding the case power button down and powered it again and surely it went to CHKDSK but it kept running like 15 minutes and then it stuck for another 15m , so I restarted it but it went to the windows directly and found the partitions not showing up.

After that I experienced some times that BIOS don't detect it and when it gets detected the windows just don't, however it's there in the device manager working properly but surely not initialized.

so I tried Paragon disk manager v15, but when ever I start the program it gives me a start up message tells me that I have a disk with an I/o error.

I also tried PhotoRec and TestDisk but it reads only 137GB out of 1TB.

And I would like to note that the disk spins normally with no clicking.

So please help me and thanks in advance, and I'm really sorry if this topic has been repeatedly posted.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Whole partitions lost and TestDisk reads capacity wrongly

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Use your disk manufacturer tool to check the disk capacity. You may need to do a HPA or DCO restore.
Several vendor agnostic tools are listed at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device_co ... on_overlay Under Linux, hdparm can used.

MUYOMUAB

#3 Post by MUYOMUAB »

Alright thanks for your reply, but since your reply and I'm trying to make BIOS to detect the HDD, but it's always undetected, as I mentioned in the post it keeps doing that alot, and some times suddenly it gets detected, so is there any way to fix that problem before getting to DCO utility program?

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

Connect the failing drive to a different machine either internally or by means of a docking station.
If the drive is not recognized use a professional recovery service.