Ext3 HDD WD MyPassport / USB NAS shot at FritzBox.

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
McBa

Ext3 HDD WD MyPassport / USB NAS shot at FritzBox.

#1 Post by McBa »

Hello everyone and first of all greetings in the round ..

In advance, TestDisk helped me in a very short time more, than anything else currently available for money in software with a great user interface on the market ... Great respect for the whole team ... be sure of my donate ...

As stated in the headline, I ran a 1TB WD MyPassport on my Fritz!Box via USB as "NAS". On Fritz! advice, i had formatted the external HDD in ext., my choice on two partitions. As WD told me now, the problems are known, that MyPassport likes to "get out" onto two partitions. Why not do this puplik, is another matter.

Anyway, I was able to save the backup HDD in FAT32 already. Unfortunately, not all important data has landed on the backup. After i was able to save the first partition of the actual HDD (WD) with TestDisk as NTFS. The second partition is now presented to me as "Linux".

However, I am hanging here now and cannot get any further via the TestDisk Wiki. Anyway, I don't want to destroy more than I've already destroyed - better to be save than sorry. The data and the folder structure is shown to me via TestDisk on the "Linux" partition. Also the deleted parts for Fritz!Box inf. Fortunately, the data is all there.

It would therefore be nice if someone could help me out here, so that I could use my folder structure, the FritZ!Box entries and the corresponding data on my Win10 PC shown again.

I have attached corresponding image files. If you have any further questions or require further information, please ask ;-)

However, I need to use GoogleTranslate to really understand exactly what I need to do. I only speak "street slang" English. So of course I would be very grateful for German support.

Thanks in advance..

Mc

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Ext3 HDD WD MyPassport / USB NAS shot at FritzBox.

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Run TestDisk, Advanced, select the ext3 partition from which you want to recover files, List, use 'h' to hide the deleted files, use 'c' to copy the directory you want to recover to another disk.

McBa

#3 Post by McBa »

Thank you for your prompt reply!

Unfortunately, since I got off to a good start, only "failed" is now displayed.

Could it be because I continued to work on the PC - on another HDD ?!
Web radio doesn't really want to run either, I think the PC is overloaded ..

Can I just stop and start over or should I let it go through? in this case, how can I prevent duplicates?

thank you in advance

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

There is a German forum.

There is documentation in German language:
https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_DE