Help with missing partition - Mac OS

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
toddkammeyer

Help with missing partition - Mac OS

#1 Post by toddkammeyer »

I have a MacBook Pro with two partitions set up on the hard drive--one for the OS and another for DATA. Last week, I decided to upgrade to the latest OS Mountain Lion by erasing and installing the system on the OS partition. Although the install went fine, I noticed my DATA partition was missing. Here are additional details about this missing partition and some of the steps I've taken:
  • In Disk Utility, the drive showed up as "disk0s4" and would not mount. The drive capacity was corrected. I tried to perform a "repair disk", but nothing would happen.
  • I created a recovery boot CD with several tools, including Testdisk. When I quickly "analyze" the drive, it comes back with 4 partitions, one is my OS partition, but I have no clue what the other two are.
  • Doing a "deep" analyze, I get a strange list of partitions with crazy characters.
My only interest is to recover files on the DATA drive. I've tried several disk recovery tools that search the drive for files, but I've never been able to find a single file on the missing DATA drive.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions. I can upload any log files or whatever is needed to help.
photo.jpg
photo.jpg (107.09 KiB) Viewed 1510 times

Fiona

Re: Help with missing partition - Mac OS

#2 Post by Fiona »

A screen shot during search doesn't have as much significance.
I'd need a screen shot from the results.
Please upload a screen shot from your partition tbale type, right after you selected your disk.

Fiona