Recovery dynamic partitions after convert to basic

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
TobiasIT

Recovery dynamic partitions after convert to basic

#1 Post by TobiasIT »

Hello everybody,

I hope someone in the forum can help me with my problem. I have already found several topics through the search, but nothing that specifically fits my case.

In a nutshell: I lack two dynamic partitions from a 1 TB HDD, which contains important data.

This happened to me through the following procedure:

The 1 TB HDD initially had three normal partitions -> 1: System Reserved 2: OS 3: Data.
I wanted to mirror partitions 1 and 2 to an SSD. That worked really well. Windows 10 starts without problems.
Now I wanted to delete partitions 1 and 2 on the HDD and extend partition 3 by the free space.
The partitions can be deleted without problems. When expanding, however, I had probably clicked through the assistant a little prematurely.
He converted the 1 TB HDD into a dynamic HDD and made me two dynamic partitions from the free area and the existing data partition .....

I've had a similar case before. With this I converted the whole thing back to a basic data storage with EaseUS.
The data was accessible after that and everything was fine.
I was planning to do the same here. After converting the HDD, however, there was no partition this time.

Now I hope that there is still a chance with TestDisk or similar. restore the partitions.
I did not make any writes or changes to the HDD after the conversion.

Sry for my english.

Thanks in advance for your help.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Recovery dynamic partitions after convert to basic

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Try TestDisk, Analyse, Quick Search and Deeper Search if some partitions are still missing.
Set all the partitions you want to keep/recover to P(rimary). On next screen, choose Write, confirm, Quit and restart your computer.