Accidentally did a diskpart /clean on primary boot partition

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
apdunshiz

Accidentally did a diskpart /clean on primary boot partition

#1 Post by apdunshiz »

Hey guys,

So this morning I was working on a user's laptop and was trying to convert the primary hard drive from mbr partition to guid so we could enable secure boot. I was a bit intoxicated still from last night of drinking and was reading a guide online and accidentally read the wrong version that had me add in the step of cleaning the drive with the diskpart /clean command. I did this from command prompt in recovery mode on the primary boot partition.

I read online that data is not lost and this is likely a fixable problem. I did some research and it was determined that TestDisk could help with this so I made a bootable USB with testdisk and did a search, and advanced search, and it only found the recovery partition and a broken FAT partition. Tried to fix the FAT partition but it wouldn't proceed. So I looked in "unknown" partitions and saw one, changed it to NTFS, and am now doing a rebuildbs. Please tell me this will work? Is there something else I am missing?

Thanks!

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Accidentally did a diskpart /clean on primary boot partition

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Try TestDisk, Analyse, Quick Search and Deeper Search as Quick Search didn't find one of your missing partition.