How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 10 Feb 2020, 19:18
So i stupidly changed a 3TB drive from MBR to GPT and lost all the data!!
The drive as it stands now is in an 'unallocated' state, i haven't set the drive up again in fear of destroying more data.
I have run Testdisk_win.exe, and then....
- selected Create a new log file
- selected the correct drive to scan
- selected Intel (as thats whats been detected)
But on the next screen i get a message....
Warning: Bad ending head (CHS and LBA don't match)
No partition is bootable
am i getting this message as the drive is in an 'unallocated' state and is it ok to carry on the search?
- Site Admin
- Posts: 5289
- Joined: 18 Feb 2012, 15:08
- Location: Le Perreux Sur Marne, France
Yes, you need to choose QUick Search and if your partition still isn't found, try Deeper Search.