Partition gone, 0 size of 0, Type None

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Sc0rpi4

Partition gone, 0 size of 0, Type None

#1 Post by Sc0rpi4 »

Background:
My Computer is about to hit 10 years. I got an HDD 1.5TB (original) and a SSD 128GB that I've added to the system later on (+ there's a "new" graphic card, nvidia Geforce GTX 660).
When I've upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 some years ago, I made sure that the OS will be installed on the SSD, that way I could use the HDD only for documents, pictures, programs etc.
Some days ago, I did a bigger Windows 10 Update. First I got a warning that my SSD has no space for the update. So I used Win 10 tools to get rid of unnecessary files to make space which was successful. Then I finally restarted the Computer. However, while restarting, I got a message suddenly, that there was no Bootable disk found. I turned off the PC again and restarted it. After doing this many times, I saw Windows 10 trying to start, but it never did. I decided to open the repair center and with that I uninstalled the latest quality update. Then I tried to start it again and after ages it worked.

HDD Problem
However, and that's why I'm here, my HDD is "gone". It's still being detected by the Computer, but all my files are gone and it says "0 size of 0". So I assume the partition got somehow damaged…
Further, Windows 10 itself does not work properly anymore. I can't uninstall things anymore and just in general the system has huge problems. Also, in the past when I'd start the computer, I'd see my HDD and SSD both labeled in green "non-Raid". Now starting the system, I see the SSD still labeled as that but the HDD is labeled in yellow as "smart" (something). I assume my HDD either died or is about to die. But again, it is still being detected by the system.

Tried to rescue it
Anyhow, two days ago, I started testdisk. It automatically chose "None" but I thought that can't be the case. So I've selected "Intel". After analyze, it didn't detect any parititions so I did a search. That search took 2 full days! During the search it was keep saying "read error at". And at the end, it didn't find anything.

This time, I chose Type "None".

When doing that, I see

Partition Start End Size in Sectors
P unknown 0 2902394816 2902394817

I can do now either "Type", "Image Creation" or quiet?

Can somebody please help me to recover my files. I really don't know what to do as next step.

Also, weird thing, I've also detached the HDD once to only boot on my SSD. However, because of that, I was no longer able to boot. Message kept popping up "No bootable disk found" or something like that. And as soon as I'd put the HDD back in, the system could start.
And there's a notification on the side from Windows, saying that there's a disk to be repaired and I should restart. I'm not sure if Windows is talking about the SSD or the HDD

recuperation

Re: Partition gone, 0 size of 0, Type None

#2 Post by recuperation »

Sc0rpi4 wrote: 19 Feb 2020, 09:42
HDD Problem
However, and that's why I'm here, my HDD is "gone". It's still being detected by the Computer, but all my files are gone and it says "0 size of 0". So I assume the partition got somehow damaged…
Further, Windows 10 itself does not work properly anymore. I can't uninstall things anymore and just in general the system has huge problems. Also, in the past when I'd start the computer, I'd see my HDD and SSD both labeled in green "non-Raid". Now starting the system, I see the SSD still labeled as that but the HDD is labeled in yellow as "smart" (something). I assume my HDD either died or is about to die. But again, it is still being detected by the system.

Tried to rescue it
Anyhow, two days ago, I started testdisk. It automatically chose "None" but I thought that can't be the case. So I've selected "Intel". After analyze, it didn't detect any parititions so I did a search. That search took 2 full days! During the search it was keep saying "read error at". And at the end, it didn't find anything.

This time, I chose Type "None".
And there's a notification on the side from Windows, saying that there's a disk to be repaired and I should restart. I'm not sure if Windows is talking about the SSD or the HDD
The message "read error at" suggests a dammaged drive.

For diagnosis:
Use smartmontools on a working system or by running Knoppix from DVD or a USB stick.
Create a report of the SMART parameters running
smartctl -a /dev/sdx > myreport.txt
at the command prompt. Replace the "x" in "sdx" by your HDD in question. Post the log here.

If you are able to interpret the parameters of the report you might try duplicating the drive with ddrescue as described in the manual tesdisk.pdf. Use a logfile for duplicating the drive, that enables you to stop and restart to duplication process.
Duplicating might increase an existing dammage. That's why I recommend to run smartmontools first to be able to make a quick evalution.
After succesfully duplicating the drive, duplicate it another time. The second copy process should not slow down because its source is free of physical errors.
Finally run Testdisk on you second copy.