recovering NTFS partition on 2TB HDD after shutdown

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
cat16

recovering NTFS partition on 2TB HDD after shutdown

#1 Post by cat16 »

A while ago I was trying to reformat my hard drive from NTFS to EXT4 using KDE partition manager. Once I got all of the data onto an EXT4 partition after the NTFS, due to lack of experience I decided to simply delete the NTFS and stretch the EXT4 to the left. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, the computer shut off (maybe a power outage or serious OS problem) and when I booted it back up the drive was raw. Again, due to lack of experience, I tried used fdisk or something like that (it was a while ago so I don't remember exacty) which didn't help. I also tried testdisk and (I know, I wasn't thinking straight at the time) wrote a Mac HFS partition to the drive which didn't help either. Currently I have a second hard drive which I cloned everything onto for safety after realizing I could've messed things up pretty bad.

Luckily, however, I tried running GetDataBack and it found the NTFS partition and listed all of the correct files. I can buy the software if really needed to actually do the recovery but I was wondering if there was any way I could use the partition sectors and stuff from GetDataBack with testdisk so I don't have to pay anything. Testdisk can see the old EXT4 partition but it can't recover it and it's probably ruined. Unfortunately it can't see anything else that would actually make sense; it sees 2 MS data partitions which it can't read and 4 MAC HFS partitions when I do a deeper search. I tried writing an NTFS partition using testdisk with the information from GetDataBack but unfortunately that didn't seem to work at all due to it failing to repair MFT (however I probably did it wrong) (this was with the backup hard drive). So I have information like Cluster0, cluster size, total sectors, etc. from GetDataBack but I'm not sure exactly how to use it or if paying is just a better option.

Here's the testdisk log: https://pastebin.com/qda1bGmP

Thanks in advance.