testdisk keeps on for more than 2 days.

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
stevesr0

testdisk keeps on for more than 2 days.

#1 Post by stevesr0 »

Firstly, I am a novice (eg, ignoramus) about the proper use of testdisk. I only used it briefly years ago.

I used photorec to find files on an 32 GB SD card. It ran for a number of hours and then reported a goodly number of files, which it saved to a file on my computer.

Then I started teskdisk on the same SD card.

It indicated that it had found an intel partition and I started it working.

It continued for more than 2 days, reporting error after error.

Today, I stopped it with a Control-C command after it failed to respond to "q".

I looked in the pdf for an explanation of (a) such a long, continuing effort without getting through all 32 GB or "giving up" (reporting failure) and for a reason it didn't repond to the quit command.

Obviously, a major cause of the problem may be that I didn't use testdisk properly, but it didn't ask for additional instructions...

Thanks for any clarification and for making these programs available.

stevesr0.

recuperation

Re: testdisk keeps on for more than 2 days.

#2 Post by recuperation »

stevesr0 wrote: 19 Apr 2020, 23:53 Firstly, I am a novice (eg, ignoramus) about the proper use of testdisk. I only used it briefly years ago.

I used photorec to find files on an 32 GB SD card. It ran for a number of hours and then reported a goodly number of files, which it saved to a file on my computer.

Then I started teskdisk on the same SD card.

It indicated that it had found an intel partition and I started it working.

It continued for more than 2 days, reporting error after error.
Looks like your SD card died. Contact a data recovery company.

stevesr0

#3 Post by stevesr0 »

@ recuperation,

Thanks for response.

I put it into a new phone after stopping testdisk and the media files look intact.

HOWEVER, my question was about testdisk going on so long. Does it not have a built in method of stopping itself when it seems futile to continue?

stevesr0

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

stevesr0 wrote: 19 Apr 2020, 23:53 It continued for more than 2 days, reporting error after error.
2 days do not have any meaning when dealing with low reads speeds of a cheap device combined with possible additional errors.
I looked in the pdf for an explanation of (a) such a long, continuing effort without getting through all 32 GB or "giving up" (reporting failure) and for a reason it didn't repond to the quit command.

Obviously, a major cause of the problem may be that I didn't use testdisk properly, but it didn't ask for additional instructions...
Consider Testdisk and Photorec as expert tools without the flight envelope of an Airbus plane.
You are free to consult a professional service or to buy any promissing recovery tool.
Did you monitor Testdisk the whole time? :shock:
stevesr0 wrote: 19 Apr 2020, 23:53 HOWEVER, my question was about testdisk going on so long. Does it not have a built in method of stopping itself when it seems futile to continue?
No. But it comes with a manual containing a special chapter for this case: [...DDRescue: data recovery from damaged disk...]

Despite having a flight envelope even an Airbus pilot has to read the manual.

stevesr0

#5 Post by stevesr0 »

Thanks for response.

I thought DDR rescue was a separate program. Will look at that.

So, apparently it isn't abnormal/unusual for testdisk to go on indefinitely without stopping.

Thanks for answering my question.

stevesr0