Challenge : Filesystem Broken on RAID5 with 4 disks

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
jbesclapez

Challenge : Filesystem Broken on RAID5 with 4 disks

#1 Post by jbesclapez »

Hi guys,

Here is my sad story :
I recently moved my server and it was on 4 RAID5 drives under ext4. Drives are 3T.
After the move I tried to reboot the server but I discovered :
- 1 of the drive has bad sectors
- 1 of the drive was not in sync

Someone helped me to try to recover the data and here is what I did using only 3 drives (not the bad sector one):

Code: Select all

none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/root / ext4 defaults 1 1
/dev/vg1000/lv /volume1 ext4 ro,noload,sb=1934917632,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,synoacl,relatime 0 0
And by doing this I could access the RAID on the network using Samba.
At this stage I made no irreversible chenges to the system, aside from rewriting the array superblock when executing the array create. The filesystem was recovered.
I made a mistake in using the GUI of synology to add a new drive to recover the data and it corrupted the filesystem. The GUI ovewrote my previous work and now I am on this forum to find a solution.
Since then, I used clonezilla to do a raw image on another drive. I have a 10Tb drive where are stored under 3 RAW images. Inside the folder it looks like this

I need help from a super hero to guide me to recover this array as the data are still there, only the filesystem is corrupted. Please also note, that I never used the 4th drive and I have no idea if it can help...

Thanks