Analysis of my HD is endless!

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
steph78

Analysis of my HD is endless!

#1 Post by steph78 »

Hello from France everyone !

First of all I am happy to find a forum dedicated to this software, the only one which allowed me one day to recover by myself data on a hard disk that I thought completely lost, a few years ago.
My knowledge in recovery and in this software being very limited, I hope to be able to find here answers to my current problem, namely another hard drive which I fail to recover.
Press correspondent and concert photographer, I think that this software is my only chance to be able to recover the photos of the last 6 months that I had not yet been able to save ...

It is a Maxtor 4TB / M3 Portable / 2.5 "hard drive which, when I turned on my Windows 10, started to make a regular noise.
Not displaying anything in the explorer, no longer being recognized on two different computers, I wanted to retry the TestDisk solution.

I started a little "blindly" by choosing a hard drive analysis ... which lasts! It has been several days since the disc seems to be under analysis, I post below some screenshots which you may speak. I don't understand much.

What can you tell me about this analysis? Useful? Should I stop, or continue and how long can it last?

Thank you very much for all your comments and your help to come!
Steph.

steph78

Re: Analysis of my HD is endless!

#2 Post by steph78 »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

recuperation

Re: Analysis of my HD is endless!

#3 Post by recuperation »

It is a Maxtor 4TB / M3 Portable / 2.5 "hard drive which, when I turned on my Windows 10, started to make a regular noise.
Strange noise never heard before is an indication of some hardware dammage. In addition to that, the read error messages by Testdisk support this assumption.
I recommend you using a professional recovery service.

If you don't mind loosing your data you can try ddrescue to duplicate your drive, but the fact that this software is reading from your possibly dammaged drive could very likely dammage your drive further.