Testdisk image creation rests at 55%

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
chrischris

Testdisk image creation rests at 55%

#1 Post by chrischris »

Hi there,
I am using Testdisk on a new (good) hard drive in order to create an image of an old (bad) hard drive, my external WD My Passport 4TB, that got corrupted by Windows and is now only showing up as local disk, unknown partition.
How long does it usually take to create an image? Testdisk rests at 55% since 6 hours now.

Before I started the image creation, I tried to recover the disk using analyse, quick search, deeper search but then decided to stop and creating an image in order not to stress the disk too much.

I also tried Ubuntu Live USB in order to use ddrescue but I could not make it work. Namely it asks super user rights and in order to activate them I would need to restart the live session. I also tried Testdisk in Ubuntu but could not figure out how to choose the new external harddrive for the image.dd

So to sum up, I read a lot and understood, that it would have been better to create the image first and later on run the Analyse and Deeper Search. But is there any chance that the image creation completes, should I stop it or should I wait another day?

Thanks for your support,
best regards,
Chris

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Testdisk image creation rests at 55%

#2 Post by cgrenier »

You really should use ddrescue. Do not forget to use a log file as it's is very useful to resume the clone operation.

chrischris

#3 Post by chrischris »

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will try to make ddrescue work...

chrischris

#4 Post by chrischris »

I stopped the Image creation and just tried to open it for curiosity, by choosing right click open with Testdisk. And, wow, maybe it worked. I clicked on Advanced and was able to Rebuild the BS. Now it says Partition ExFAT: Ok. Bootsector: Ok.
I am just running the Quick Search and will see if I might be able to copy some important files or try to click Write. And then restart.

I any case, I found this tutorial on how to run DDrescue on Windows as I am not so familiar with Ubuntu: https://www.hamishmb.com/blog/tutorial- ... th-cygwin/